Friday, October 31, 2008

Neologisms

We finally got the boys Halloween costumes last night (don't judge me by my procrastinatory ways). Logan will be ninja'ing it up, while Declan is pirating the hell out of everyone. We got home and let them try the costumes on to make sure we had everything they needed and it all fit and blahblahblahfishcakes. The boys are at the perfect ages for holidays. Everything about holidays is special and exciting and filtered through the imagination of youth.

I told them to go look in the mirror in my room, which is full-length, and check themselves out. Squeals of delight followed.

Logan came back to the living room and said, "Mom, I have a new catchprase when I'm dressed up as a ninja. Want to hear it?" Of course I did. With big blue eyes wide, he said emphatically, "
I look good." And boy, did he.

Declan followed Logan, attempting to tell me he looked fabulous, only the word came out as "bajabulous" (it rhymes with fabulous, people). At which point Logan said, "No. You're piralous! And I'm ninjalous!"

I was so happy when I heard those boys make up those words. Words are like my favorite thing ever, and making up words is a good time had by all. There's something to be said for creating a brand new word like cromulent or embiggens. But more than that, I love the words that form themselves out of specific situations. Like "milktastical" in reference to the fantasicness of milk. Or "fuckle" when the urge to fart and the urge to chuckle express themselves at the same time.

So, my boys are making up their own words, jamming things together for the amusement and benefit of all. My mom-pride is showing.

3 comments:

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

you so need your camera back! love the words. those boys are way too cute (even if I can't see them).

have you read Ella Minow Pea?

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I'm with Sabe. DAMN THAT CAMERA STEALER!!!!

Courtney said...

AND MY TRANSFORMERS LUNCHBOX!

No, I haven't read that book, Sabe. I'll have to check it out. :)