Monday, October 13, 2008

October Snow

Yesterday we had our first snow of the season. I'm not really one to check the weather forecast under pretty much any circumstance; I like to be surprised. It's sort of the way some people might call me lazy - I prefer to refer to myself as efficient. Anyway, surprised I was.

Poor Ed had some car problems and needed us to pick up the boys from the parking lot where he had pulled over to let his radiator cool off (that is, wait until it stopped spewing smoke and making him run in circles saying, "
Firefirefirefire!"). So Chris and I bundled up and picked up the boys who were thrilled at the sight of snowfall. Declan was sure to explain to us that even though it was snowing, it was not Christmas. Just in case we were getting our hopes up, I guess.


When we got home, the kids wanted to play outside so we got them mildly bundled up. This is where the surprise of the snow really comes in to play. I hadn't dug out any of our warm coats or gloves, hats, boots, etc. Logan came from Ed's prepared with a pair of knit gloves
[Sidenote: Logan spent some time later in the day standing in the kitchen wearing said blue gloves, sunglasses, his long-sleeved shirt, and underwear...I told him he looked awesome and he responded oh-so-seriously, "I know. That's because I'm a ninja." End sidenote.],
but Declan was out of luck in the glove department (pronounced "glub"). So I improvised. The only thing I could find that might be an acceptable substitute was a pair of my socks that had toes. We tried to play up the fact that they were special gloves (not socks), but the boy was not fooled. He very cutely attempted to be happy about them, but it didn't last.

He sort of looks like he's got webbed hands there.

And once they got soaked through and started slipping off his hands, he told me he didn't want to wear the special gloves anymore. Of course, by that time both the boys were pretty wet and cold since they did some sledding down the hill without sleds, so we went inside for hot chocolate. In all, a pretty good first snow. But I'm thinking I better stock up on some non-special gloves for next time.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Ninjas are always stylin.

I knew that it could snow this weekend and I was unprepared too. Ashley and Megan both wore too small coats to school and no gloves...

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

yeah, way too early for snow. love the sock gloves and his face in the second picture.