Monday, December 15, 2008

"Call me Hooks" and other Randomness

  • Declan, for the better part of the day yesterday, walked around the house with a couple of hangers pulled up over his knees. When I woke up from my nap (thanks, Chris!), he strode up to me, hands on hips and said, "Call me Hooks!" Unfortunately, he refused - REFUSED - to let me take a picture of him all hooky.

  • Declan thinks it's hilarious to jump out of his room and roar at me in the mornings. He likes to scare me and it's pretty funny to hear his little roar in his scratchy, just-woke-up voice. (Just between you and me, he's never actually scared me. But I'm good at pretending.)

  • Declan: "What kills dogs?"
    Logan: "Dinosaurs."

  • On Saturday, Ed brought the boys over and there was Christmas talk, as usual. The kids know it's coming and of course want it to be tomorrow. Somehow Logan got it in his head that Christmas actually was tomorrow (meaning Sunday morning) and went to bed with that thought on his mind, unbeknownst to us.

    Sunday morning, Declan woke up well before Logan, as he is wont to do. After a while, in an attempt to shut their bedroom door quietly after retrieving a book, he didn't know to turn the handle so it could latch gently and ended up sort of banging it closed all the way.

    A few seconds later, Logan came bolting out of the bedroom, a look on his face of anticipation and excitement. He stopped short behind Declan and I assumed he was upset that Dex had woken him up and was about to give Dex the old what for. Instead, Logan turned to me, tears forming in his eyes, and said in possibly the saddest voice ever, "Daddy was wrong. Santa didn't come. It's not Christmas."

    Heartbreaking, I tell ya. I hugged him tight and assured him that Santa would come when it was the right day.

No comments: