Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mystery solved?

I think I've figured out the reasoning for the macabre subject matter of some of Declan's songs. When he tells me about them, or sings them to me, he'll ask if I think they're scary. Sometimes I'll ask him if he wants me to think they are. In response his eyes open wide and he nods his head yes while talking about why xyz is scary to talk about. When watching movies with creepy, suspensful parts (the black wolf, Gmork, in The Neverending Story, anyone?), Declan's the kind of kid who shuts his eyes tight or pulls a blanket over his face initially and then can be seen a moment later peeking to watch the action. Logan, on the other hand, shuts and stays shut until it's all over and done with.

I guess the point is that Declan enjoys the thrill of being scared and wants to turn that around on us a bit. What better way to do that than with songs about blood and death?

No comments: