Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Things I Want to Remember

(Alissa, I totally started a draft of this before I saw your exact same post. I'm not copying! I promise!)


Logan dances by moving his shoulders; Declan dances by moving his hips.


Fingers are thingers.


"[Gasp!] We need a grab-nabber!" - Declan, trying to provide a solution to a problem, after perhaps too many episodes of Little Einsteins (called Rocket around here)


Declan wears "slip slops" and a "slimming suit". His favorite Backyardigan is "Plablo". He and Logan are "bludders".


[Chris was serving milkshakes he made as a special treat for the family on Sunday.]
Logan: Why are you full of ice cream?
Chris, confused: What?! I'm not.
Logan: But Mommy said you were full of it!


My kids are singers. Since Declan was teeny tiny, he has sung himself to sleep. He'll sing a song if you ask (and he's not grumpass at the moment). He will make anything into a song, if it suits the moment (I've heard songs about making sandwiches, or getting blankets, or bathtime, etc.). Sometimes Logan joins in with his own musical version of Declan's lyrics, or with the instrumental part while Dex sings the words. Logan has also been known to make up theme songs for his various superhero creations, or sometimes a soundtrack while we're driving around on errands.


Yesterday I overheard Logan tell Declan that it was ok to tell Mommy when you have an accident because she'll just say it's ok and help you take care of it.
(Honestly, that made me feel so good to know that he feels he can come to me with his current biggest problem instead of needing to hide it. I've tried to reinforce the idea that he can talk to me about anything and we'll figure it out, and I guess it's working.)


The other night before bed, I checked on the boys. I leaned in over Declan to whisper the things I usually whisper to them in the middle of the night and in his sleep he reached up, grabbed me around my neck with one arm, and pulled me down to lay my head on his pillow with him.


As I was tucking Logan in bed a few nights ago, I told him he made my heart happy and he asked for what? I said that it was just because I love who he is and I'm glad he's my son. He smiled this big smile, closed his eyes, and did a little dance as I walked out of the room. I will never forget the way he looked in that moment and the way I felt, as I was walking away, that I filled his little heart with happiness.

1 comment:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

So sweet! Campbell inserts random L's in words also. He yells "Bennet pluked!" about 5 times/day.