Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Conversations

Every week at some point, Grandpa Tiny goes to the store to pick up some fresh fruit that he feels we need around the house. When he comes home, he usually goes on a bit of a rambling, mild rant about the way prices have changed since the Depression Era. It's really become a highlight of my week. I love to hear him talk about the way things were and his "When I was your age" moments. A few days ago, he somehow got on the subject of how things have changed in the media over the decades. He told me that way back when, if something happened in the world, people wouldn't hear about it for several days. And then he went on to say, "The way it is now, if someone farts in Moscow you can hear about it right away if you want to." Ah, the words of a wise man.
______

Recently at one of our Sunday dinners, we got on the subject of fish. Declan informed us that the only type of fish he likes is the kind that's shaped like a spacebar. I couldn't figure out what in the world he meant. Thankfully, Aunt Andrea was around to translate that into fish sticks for me. Talk about a generation gap - when I was your age, I didn't know what a spacebar was.
______

Declan told me today that when he grows up, he plans on living in my house. I asked what kind of job he was going to have. "I don't think I'll have one." I asked how he planned on getting money. "Okay, I guess I'll have a job." I asked if he was going to have a wife. "Ummmm....I don't know!" Fair enough. I asked if he was going to have kids. At this point I think he got a little exasperated with me, because he sighed and said in a bit of a duh tone, "All grown-ups have kids, Mommy. And you know what? There are these balls inside my weiner and those are my kids." Then he left the kitchen, probably to avoid more questions. I think he's got a fairly age-appropriate understanding of sex education, so I'll let that particular conversation go.

No comments: