Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Last night as a treat, Grandma Sue and Chris took the boys to get some ice cream. They went to the store and also let them pick out some magazines to look at since we've entered the reading-in-bed-before-they-fall-asleep stage of their lives that I hope will last forever. Declan chose a Disney magazine and Logan chose a comic book. Is he his father's son or what? It's a Muppets comic book (who knew they made those?!), but it surprised me that that of all things was his preference.

I remember Ed telling me a long time ago how he read comic books when he was about Logan's age. I found that to be quite strange since I have never in my life chosen to read a comic book. Comic strips, yes. But a whole book of them? No, thanks. (Incidentally, this reminds me of a time when Ed and I were in Barnes & Noble and he was browsing the Graphic Novels section. I'd never heard such a phrasing as a category of literature and my mind made graphic novels out to be something *entirely different* than they actually were. Therefore I was quite shocked when a) they actually had that section in Barnes & Noble and b) Ed was standing there browsing it for the whole world to see.)

In other news, Declan has taken up "Man!" as his choice phrase of emphasis. This morning alone I heard, "Man! I love this shirt!" and "Man! This granola bar is delicious!" and "Man! What a beautiful day!" I love it. This phase can stick around a while, along with the attempted wink + finger snap combo he throws at you when you say something he really likes or answer one of his questions correctly. Cuteness abounds.

2 comments:

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

I feel the exact same way about comic books. I think it really is a boy thing. I never had the patience for them. But K loves them. There is a comic book shop near D's work and he frequently will bring a new one home for K. Whatever gets/keeps them reading, I guess.
And you should look into the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books for Logan. K loves them and they are REALLY funny.

Courtney said...

We saw the commercials for the movie, but didn't realize they were actually books. I'll definitely look into that. :)